FUN STUFF TO DO
• Walk for miles on the beach.
• Bring your golf clubs. Our area offers some fabulous golf courses, such as Arcadia Bluffs, Manistee National, Hearthland, County Highlands, Bear Lake, Hemlock and Manistee Country Club.
• Shop and explore the City of Manistee with its historic buildings, Victorian homes, riverwalk, marina facility and two great beaches.
• Travel a short distance South to Ludington and Pentwater for other towns to explore.
• Visit area lighthouses in Manistee, Point Betsie, Ludington & Frankfurt.
• Hike, bike and explore nearby Manistee National Forest, Orchard Beach State Park and the Lake Bluff Audubon Society.
• Watch the bald eagle, hummingbirds and butterflies who live near our property.
• Canoe and kayak the Manistee and Pine Rivers.
• Ride on the Silver Lake dunes at Mac Woods Dune Rides or go hiking on the dunes at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.
• Go fishing on your own or through a myriad of sportsfishing charter services.
• Ride on scenic airplane or boat tours.
• Visit the marina to dock your own boat or just for a stroll.
• Play games or gamble at the Little River Casino.
The unique town of Manistee is just a short drive from Kingman’s Reef. The town is situated about 20 miles North of Ludington. Manistee is named after the river which passes through it, and according to legend, it is an Indian word meaning “The Spirit of the Woods.” The Chippewa and portions of the Tawas and Ottawa tribes are said to have inhabited this region.
Being over 150 years old, Manistee is embedded with rich history. It was a lumber town out of which gorgeous Victorian homes were built by the lumber barons. These “painted ladies” still line the streets on Manistee and create the reputation of Manistee being Michigan’s Victorian Port City. Manistee also has a rich history of fishing, both commercial and recreational. Today, Manistee is still known for its incredible fishing via its channel into Lake Michigan. Numerous fishing charters are available for fishing enthusiasts.
Manistee has numerous events throughout the year which are listed through the Manistee Chamber of Commerce. Manistee also features numerous golf courses, the Manistee National Forest which is one of the largest national forests in the Central United States and a multitude of interesting shops and restaurants. Explore Manistee and discover how special this town is.